I didn't want anything huge, just a cute little area that we could leave our shoes, hang our bags, the dog's sweater...leash...whatever...Okay let's not tell lies here...I just like the look of a Mud Room and I thought it would be a cute addition...will we actually use it? Ummmm...anyways. I'm down with the Board & Batten look..super down. This was my jumping off point. I've never done any moulding myself so I was a little nervous...
I bought all the moulding at Home Depot and had them cut it to my measurements....so nice that they will cut anything you want for free. That was most of the work right there. I bought some hooks and paint there as well. I went with Martha Stewart's Picket Fence in a Semi-Gloss. Oh and I had some Kilz at home...this was the most important thing I used....priming was a must!
My friend Brittany had a nail gun and a compressor---what? Yea she did. So I borrowed that thinking she'd hand it over and it'd be this cute little gun that would be super simple to use. No. This was one huge, manly mammajamma...It like has gas in it or something...weird. I was intimidated by it to say the least.
Ryan and the animals were hugely skeptical that I could accomplish the look I was going for and not mess up an entire wall.
So this is the wall before:
This wall connects the kitchen and the dining room. The laundry room is right in front of it which is connected to the garage. So we could...in essence...walk in from the garage and through our laundry room to our beautiful "Mud Room" hallway wall thing.
I put up the battens and taped them in place...I prayed that the Home Depot dude cut them straight.
I made Ryan do the first one because when I turned on the compressor I screamed and was still a little shaken up. When I saw how easily he did it, I took over. For reals.
All I can say is...You go Home Depot dude!!!! Check this out
Yes that is a level on my iPhone...there's an app for that.
lazy crazy, but I didn't check any measurements until after I had nailed everything in to the wall....
I filled the nail holes with wood putty...there were quite a few...hey, maybe someone got a little carried away with the nail gun...or maybe someone wanted the battons to be really, really secure. Let's not make any rash judgements.
I then primed and painted two coats of the Picket Fence.
Let's just say..I'm shocked that it looks so cute. Here it is:
The whole project cost about $45 (board, battons, paint, and hooks)
I had that bench in my garage...I bought it almost a year ago at Scott's Antique Market for $30 but never found a place for it. I'm not sure if I should paint it or leave it "weathered." I'm thinking I like it as is right now. The pillows are from Target and were a wedding gift. I love them so much and am happy that they have found a home! I still want to do something with the top part of the wall, but I'm not sure what...maybe some black and white prints or something along those lines...we shall see.
Linking up here: