Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Vintage Ball Jar Light Fixtures: Tutorial

When we moved in, one thing I knew we'd wanna change out was the small pendant lights we had in between our kitchen and family room. They were a kind of goldish yellow that didn't go with our decor. I absolutely love the aqua Ball Jars and I have just about a million of them. I know that I saw the jars as pendant lights in a magazine once but I can't remember where....they gave the source to buy them, but I think they were around $175 for a pair. Too rich for my blood! So...I made them. And it took NO time at all.

We already had the two pendant lights in place, so I simply unscrewed the shades and exposed just the bulb.
I then took the lid of one of the jars and a nail. I hammered the nail through the center of the lid and this broke the glass on the opposite side.





I then removed the glass and continued to make little nail holes in the center of the jar lid. My point of reference was the little metal circle that holds the shade of the pendant light up. I made the holes about the same size as the metal circle.





I then slipped the lid onto the bulb and screwed the little metal circle underneath to hold it on. Then I just screwed the lid on to the jar. There you have it...very simple!
 





They look so much better than the old pendants and only cost about $5 total (price of the jars). Every time I walk by them now I ask Ryan, "DO YOU LOVE THEM???" I sure do!

26 comments:

ourhumbleabowed said...

Those look great! I love the touch of blue, too.

Whitney said...

I LOVE them. We don't have pendant lights, but you can bet I'd be replacing them with these if we did. I also like the mason jar chandeliers I've saw around blogland. Great job, Emily!

Jae said...

That is fabulous. I love this idea.

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Emily, those are so cool! I'll echo "ourhumbleabowed" and say that I also like the nice touch of blue. Great job. :) Visiting from Weekend Wrap-Up! :)

Beth@The Stories of A2Z said...

Brilliant! I love it!

Anna said...

I love, love, love these lights. I've been hoping to make some myself :o)

KatiePerk said...

Wow! These are fabulous!! Nice job!

The British Homemaker said...

these are awesome!! i think i just found the lighting i was looking for to complete my sons room!! :)

Kim said...

Very cool project! My maiden name and my son's name is Mason so I have a ton of these jars, what a creative way to use them! Thanks for sharing.

The Autocrat: Haley said...

Very creative idea! They look fabulous!

Rachael said...

Soooo cute! I love the aqua jars...I wish I could find some. Great work!

lvroftiques said...

What a great idea! love love love that aqua blue! Vanna

Christina @ The Tattered Tag said...

What a nifty idea! I love jars...you can never have too many. They have a million and one uses. Well now a million two with youridea. :) I am excited to be your latest and greatest follower.

http://thetatteredtag.blogspot.com

Leslie said...

neato!!!! What a great idea.

Life in Rehab said...

Fantastic tutorial and project! Why haven't I been over here before?

Cher' Shots said...

Wow, how cool is that!! I have to agree - much better than the gold pendants. 'hugs from afar'

Stephanie Lynn @Under the Table and Dreaming said...

Emaily - These are fabulous! I love the blue jars too! Thanks for sharing this great tutorial and linking up to The Sunday showcase party - I have featured this today. Stop by and grab a featured button if you like. Hope you have a wonderful week ~ Stephanie Lynn

Mrs. Brittany said...

I love this!!!! I saw a blog ..I think it was Life in the fun lane's blog--anyway, she put twine around the wire, and made hanging lights like this for the living room,...very cute! nice job!
-Brittany from http://lifeyasadiywifey.blogspot.com/

Nike@ChooseToThrive said...

Wow. These look so fun and much better than a stock pennant light. Love, love, love the vintage blue on the jars, too.

sarah said...

Love it!

Doda said...

How clever, these are gorgeous!

Carrie said...

Hi, I found you through another blog and I am so excited about these lights! They are just perfect! I bookmarked them for my husband. :)

jacin {lovely little details} said...

LOVE these!!! i have a mason jar obsession, so much that a jar is part of my logo and i have an entire day devoted to my mason jar finds! come by and say hello!

:)

lovely little details {blog}

rockpaperscissors3 said...

So great. What a way to have personalized your space!
Amy @ www.RockPaperScissorsInvitations.com

Whats Ur Home Story said...

Came across your blog from tip junkie. Really loved the idea. I have been eying these lights for some time too.

Tif said...

Oh yeah...I love them! New Follower...yay!

Tif
Ramblings of a Southern Belle
http://www.her-southern-ramblings.blogspot.com